Friday, April 22, 2011

French Antique Settee

Hey Guys!!  I know it has been FOR - EV - ER since I've written anything.  Sorry about that!  (Do I start every post that way?)  Today I want to show you a piece that I did for Round Top.  It is definitely one of my very favorite pieces!  It was hard to watch it go!  Okay, anyway...we found this French settee for a steal at an antique shop.  The lady told me that it was an actual French antique.  You never really know about if these people are telling you the truth, but I like the shape of it and didn't really care if it was authentic or not.  It was just cute!  So here is the before pic....

 Don't you love the red velvet??  It was so gross!  Here is a close up of the carvings in the corners...


So anyway, I started tearing it off...


Then I painted the whole thing in a soft cream color and then a 2nd coat of flat gray paint.  When I distressed it, the gold came through in some areas and I LOVED IT!!!

Then my dad helped me recover the back and the seat.  This was the cool part.  When we pulled the red velvet off, there was some hay sticking out of the lining.  So I pulled some of the lining back and wouldn't you know the whole settee was stuffed with hay!  So it really was a true French antique!  I have to admit, I was little more excited about the piece now!  So here is the final product....




IHere is another great picture that Becky Shultea from Just Bee'n Me took.  She is very talented!  Go check out her blog here

Well, that's it for tonight!  I will post some more pictures from Round Top in the next few days (or at least I will try!).  We had a great time and are excited about the next show in September.

I'm linking to....
Furniture Feature Fridays

504 Main
My Repurposed LifeRedoux
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

12 comments:

  1. Wowee!! Fantastic work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a vision of beauty. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty, I was ooing and ahing as I looked at it. I am new to the linky party and I do a "redoux" link up every Friday too that I leave open all weekend. I would love it if you would stop by and link up! Have a beautiful Easter. -Karen

    www.redoux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive makeover. Love it.:) I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, friend! Newest follower :) You've got so much creativity going on in your blog so can
    you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop?

    This is a combination of linky party (where we can show off our
    creations) and of blog hop (where we can follow as many excellent
    bloggers as we like), hence the name Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.
    It's a great way to meet awesome creative bloggers like you and
    increase your followers in the process.

    All you have to do is 1) link up whatever creative post you'd like to
    share - can be a DIY project, decor, photography, crafts, recipes,
    poem, thrift finds, tips, or that informative syndicated post that can
    make us laugh, or cry - in short, whatever you're proud of! 2) Then
    follow as many blogs as your heart desires, preferably starting first
    with the one before you and after you, and leave a comment to them
    that you're doing so.

    You’re not required to include the party button but if you’re so inclined
    to display it in your blog or your post, you’re very much welcome to
    do so :)

    See you at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-042411.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that is just stunning!!! i love its makeover- so french chic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty! I bet it was hard to let go.
    thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the carved details and the shape of this settee too. It looks beautiful painted French gray! You and your dad did a great job on the upholstery.

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete